The Global Compact offers internship opportunities in its New York office. The Global Compact Office is the UN entity responsible for the overall management and coordination of the Global Compact initiative, including the management of the Global Compact’s name and logo, and the Global Compact Integrity Measures.
It pursues two complementary objectives: (1) making the Global Compact and its principles part of business strategy and operations everywhere; and (2) facilitating cooperation among key stakeholders by promoting partnerships and other collective action in support of UN goals.
To promote its 10 principles, the Global Compact also undertakes work on a range of corporate citizenship issues, including business and human rights, anti-corruption, partnerships for development etc.
Depending on their level of experience and training, interns in the Global Compact Office will:
- research and analyze relating to the topic of corporate citizenship, especially on human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption;
- draft and edit publications, papers and other documents;
- liaise with Global Compact stakeholders on key corporate citizenship topics;
- support the organization of meetings and events;
- assist with outreach activities;
- assist in the coordination of the Communication on Progress process;
- handle email and other inquiries;
- assist in the implementation of the Global Compact’s integrity measures;
- perform administrative tasks as assigned.
Duration and period
Internships in the Global Compact office are available for a duration of three to six months. The timing of internships is flexible. We encourage candidates to apply for the following sessions:
Winter: January to March
Spring: April to June
Summer: Early July to August
Fall: September to December
Please note that internships at UN Headquarters are unpaid. Interns must therefore be able to cover their costs of travel, accommodation, as well as living expenses during the internship period. The UN internship office has compiled a list of some possible sources of funding at: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/sds/internsh/htm/funding.htm
Candidates must have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Familiarity with corporate citizenship/corporate social responsibility and with the activities of the Global Compact is a plus.
About UN Global Compact
Seeking to align business with 10 principles on human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption, and to catalyze actions in support of broader UN goals