WHS has been the leading voice for animals in the District of Columbia since 1870. WHS is committed to remaining a model for all humane communities across the nation.
WHS’s Internship Program provides a wide range of opportunities for students to gain insight into the work of WHS. Every year a limited number of places for internships are available.
Departments that Internships are available are as follows:
- Volunteer Programs
- Animal Care
- Shelter Medical Department (New York Avenue)
- Field Services
- Special Events
- Fashion 4 Paws
- Behavior and Learning
- Development (graphic designer experience needed)
- Marketing and Communications
- Human Resources
To take part in the program, we look for the following minimum eligibility criteria:
• Applicants must be US citizens and should have a strong academic record (3.0 GPA or better).
• Applicants must be enrolled in a degree program in a college or university, second university degree or higher, at the time of application and during the internship.
• A minimum of 18 years of age
• Approval from the department’s internship adviser and completed Internship Application Package should be turned in before starting the internship.
About Washington Humane Society
The Washington Humane Society, the only Congressionally-chartered animal welfare agency in the U.S., has been the area’s leading voice for animals since 1870.